View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
Re: Show us your home electronics!

I figured I'd resurrect this thread. I just got a smokin' deal on a new TV and put it in. I had been using a 40" Samsung LCD, so this is sort of a downgrade in the quality department, but a major upgrade in size.

The TV is a 60" Mitsubishi DLP (735 series) and lists for ~$1500. After cashing in $100 in Best Buy Reward Zone certificates I was able to snag it for $800. It was on clearance, and was also a floor model (It had about 400 hours used up on the lamp). They had it listed for $1000, but after some haggling they took $100 off. (Without having to purchase a service plan!)

It's the one thing that has been missing from the basement home theatre. While I was in there I took care of the rats nest of wires you can see in the first picture. I need to do a little bit more so the two wires you can see in the second picture disappear all together. That way you won't see a single wire behind the TV. Hey, neatness counts.

So here's the first TV that I had down there, the LCD that the new one replaced was actually 2" smaller than the one in this picture:

This is the new TV: (It's showing my HTPC front end software)

Here's an updated picture of the equipment rack. The PC case on the bottom had to be upgraded because of heat issues, and now houses 2.7 TB of storage capacity that is about 60% used up right now. All of my DVD's are stored in full ISO rips (aka complete disc images) and are available on demand from the TV.

And here's a crappy cell phone picture of the head end. Although it's only changed a tiny bit and you can't really tell in the picture. I upgraded to a Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem for (real world sustained) speeds of 22Mbit down / 5Mbit up.