View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: replacement lights

Quote:
Originally posted by hotshoe50
I just replaced my low beams with 90W XENON bulbs that I got on eBay for about 12.00$

They are brilliantly blue-white and certainly cast a better light than my old stock lights. I run with my fogs all the time, so I have bought a set of XENON fog bulbs and will install them as soon as they arrive.

Given that the wattage is about double the stock bulbs and that they are a high intensity XENON bulb and the reflectors are identical, how can these fail to provide significantly better light?

This is like the synthetic oil question: totally anecdotal info at best: any optical engineers with the real scoop out there????

Hotshoe
Is the glass clear or is it blue? If it is blue, then you have an inferior bulb. The blue paint is used to filter out most of the spectrum except the blue light. Unfortunately halogen (even Xenon) lamps make the most visible light output not in the blue range, but in the yellower range. So basically the strongest light is being blocked out by the filter. Adding in the extra wattage helps, but the output of these bulbs merely tricks the eyes and doesn't illuminate the road any better.

Do a quick search as there have been many heated discussions on this board about this particular topic. There is a lot of technical details including lumens, light temperature and angstroms to help you fully understand what is going on.

If you are running over wattage bulbs, it is best to put in a high power relay kit like this one: http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlight...re-harness.htm
Get the universal kit to fit the SVX.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker