View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
WRONG

Even in STOCK form, it will destroy almost anything GM or FORD has to offer. The aftermarket companies latched onto the hemi for a reason- it was the BEST V8. If the 454 or whatever had been better, they'd be using those in dragsters. Hell, its a LOT cheaper. But they didn't. They chose the hemi for a reason.

WRONG. Show me one instance where a 426 HEMI beat an L88 or ZL-1. You can't. The instances you mention were in 1964 and 1965. Chevy didn't even have a V8 racecar other than the vette (DQed - 2 seater) until 1967. The HEMI may have ruled before 67, but it didn't stand a chance in endurance races against the Z28. Penske's team won the 1967 and 1968 daytona 500s, with Camaros finishing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Mark Donahue took home the Championship in 1969 with his Penske Camaro.

High maintenance, yes. Inefficient and unreliable? No way. Extremely reliable IF you do the periodic valve lashing. I'd like to see you back up these claims; til then, I'll ignore them.

WRONG. They were high maintenance, inefficient, AND unreliable. Want proof? Ask any mechanic who ever worked on one. They require constant maintenance, they guzzle gas like my Irish grandfather guzzled beer, and they often never even finished races which they entered. In the 1967 daytona 500, 4 of the 7 chryslers in the race didn't finish. Go ahead, look that up. I come from a family full of car guys of all sorts. I've built entire engines, and raced them. By contrast, ask any mechanic who ever worked on chevy's small block V8. They'll tell you it's one of the best engine designs out there. Why else would GM keep it in service for almost 30 years?

In 1964 the Hemi debuted at the daytona 500. The first SEVEN starting positions were either dodges or plymouths, out of a field of 46 cars. The finish? A 1-2-3 sweep with another in 5th, and 9th. The hemi cars set a new average speed record of 153.334mph.

In 1964, the camaro wasn't even thought of yet. However, in 1967, it made it's first Daytona 500 run, and did it's first of several 1-2-3 sweeps with Roger Penske, Mark Donahue, and another party who is strangely not mentioned in the book, driving. In that race it set a NEW Average Speed Record of 160mph.

What was happening was the cars were becoming TOO fast. With extremely aerodynamic bodies and hemis, the 69 Daytona and 70 Superbird were obliterating the competition. One of the reasons was a safety concern. Bill France (a nascar big guy) put a stop to the aero cars and high speeds by limiting the displacement of ALL nascar engines to 305 cubic inches.

Funny you should say this, because at the time you speak of, camaros held the Average speed record. They were the Z28s...strange, that's only a 302!

Just like those L88s and whatever else ultra rare yenko Type R one of 3 engines you speak of are beating up hemis in drag racing eh? Wait. They aren't. Hrm. Wonder why? >scratches head< Anyway, every engine was tore down completely after a nascar race.

WRONG. L88s, L87s, ZL-1s, and the Z28s were all built in house at GM plants and were available in the showroom. As i stated before, the ZL-1 took NHRA championships from 1967-1970. Go ahead, look it up, it's not hard. NASCAR engines will only undergo a complete rebuild after a race if it is deemed necessary. Most times only the top end of the engine is even touched, and then usually it's just for a head gasket replacement and valvetrain check. I know this cause i have done it. Engines in oval track racing are endurance units, they are generally not touched between races for anything other than routine (racing) maintenance for fear that changing anything could be disaster, especially after a successful weekend. In drag racing engines are usually rebuilt after EVERY RUN. Teams generally have 8 or more engines and swap them out between runs.

Can you back this up? I haven't ever heard of camaros being much of a threat.

I thought you knew your racing? Anyone who knows the history of oval track racing knows the Camaro and it's legendary abilities on the track. I got most of my information for this post from a book which details the history of the Camaro. CAMARO, by Anthony Young, MBI publishing 2000. Also useful: NASCAR RACING, Various authors, SpeedZone Publishing 1998. That and my own knowledge along with my family's racing experience are the basis for my remarks. Basically you could look up racing anywhere and get the same info.

NO WAY. The cars to beat were the Chryslers. Ever heard of the 1968 Hemi Cuda or Hemi dart? We're talking about the world's nastiest meanest production cars that ordinary people could actually go out and buy. We're talking cars that were shipped in PRIMER. You bought them in primer. The windows? Plexiglass. The doors? Acid dipped. The fenders? Aluminum. These beasts were easily the fastest cars out there, and to this DAY are almost unbeatable in their class.

My brother's 1969 SS396 (L87) has, on at least 3 occasions, smoked his friend's 1971 Charger (426). And it costs alot less to fix, he can do it himself, and it gets much better gas mileage (marginal by todays standards, but phenomenal in it's day). Nastiest and meanest production cars? What about the 1967 Vette 427SC, or the 1967 Shelby Cobra 427? Nuff said.

You've shown me nothing. Everything I just said here can be backed up. Before typing this, I just got my hemi book. "Musclecar Color History: HEMI" by motorbooks international. Pretty book. Anyway, Chevy had some good big blocks. FOR ME TO POOP ON!

I would say I have shown you undeniable proof. But I know it's not going to change either of our opinions. I just enjoy a good healthy car discussion, and I hope you do to. If you plan to poop on a chevy big block, remember this: you'll need to catch it first...and if you plan to do that, your HEMIs aren't quite going to cut it.

That being said I will no longer bore the rest of this board with my useless knowledge. Sorry. (closes door).