View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 05:51 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Ok now that maybe we can argue like adults, I will re-enter this. I understand, Ca$h, that you are a MOPAR nut. That's fine. To each his own...and I enjoy a constructive argument, probably cause I am darn good at it, but I am also respectful in the way that I argue. I expect the same from you. We all do. I continue visiting this forum because of the respectful bunch that resides here, and I don't think that anyone here wants that to change. So let's keep it nice, ok?

While there is no doubt that HEMI engines are beasts, it wasn't until aftermarket companies got ahold of those engines that they became venerable. The HEMIs that chrysler put in there 1st gen musclecars were extremely high maintenance, very inefficient and unreliable. Thus the reason they were scrapped as production units.

Also, you mention Chrysler's short stint in early NASCAR racing. They were banned, yes. But not because of their winning races, but because they were doing it with engines that did not meet the requirements. Back then they had regulations stating engine specs down to Bore & stroke. These were unattainable with the HEMI design. Hence their dissapearance from the NASCAR circuit. If you are to say that they should have been allowed to run the HEMIs, then you must allow for Chevy to run it's L88s and L87s which would have DESTROYED the HEMIs (plus they would have made it through the WHOLE race, and be able to race again the next week without a rebuild). Truth is, through their first generation of production, the CAMAROS ruled the NASCAR circuit...and they did it within the rules. The 302ci Z28 was the car used, and it consistently beat out much larger V8s, and lasted longer. Driven by none other than Roger Penske, it took championship titles from 1967-1969.

In drag racing, the ZL-1 Camaros driven by Bill Jenkins and Ben Wenzel took championship titles from 1967-1970. In 1971, rule changes eliminated both the ZL-1 motor, and the HEMIs from NHRA sanctioned races. Jerks.

So there you go. You think MOPAR rules, and you showed us why. I think Chevy rules, and I showed you why.