View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 11:59 PM
jklmnopqrst

Fixed my wheel bearing today

I went to Bruneel Tire Factory to get my right rear wheel bearing fixed today. Before they got started on the job, I asked them what they were going to charge me in labor and how much the bearing would cost. They told me that the bearing would cost $85, that labor would be $65/hour, and that it would be a 2.5 hour job (total=about $275). So, I said "How much is Rust-proofing gonna run me?" just kidding. Anyway, they told me to come back in a few hours and I just said that I will wait and watch. The guy gave me a weird look and walked off. I walked out the front entrance, around the building and to the garage area to see my SVX go into a minor operation. The shop was incredibly crowded (it was a beautiful day out) so they had to work on my car with the front half sticking out of the garage while the back-end was in the garage. So I stood by and held my SVXs hand, and the mechanic really didn't want me stand there and watch. "For liability reasons, we can't have you inside the shop," he said. I wasn't in the shop, so I said, "Ok, I'll just stand out here." He looked at me for a moment and then he just went about his business. After standing for 30 minutes, I went and grabbed a couple of boxes by the dumpster and made myself a chair. Moving along, a full hour and a half later he was finished with the job and I thanked him for a job well done in a timely manner. I went inside the office to pay, however, I wasn't about to allow them to charge me the full amount. I figured that with 1.5 hours of labor and with a $85 bearing, that would come out to about $175. "Your total comes to $255.10," said the worker. So I explained that the mechanic only worked for an hour and a half, and that I would pay the hourly rate plus the cost of the part, which equals about $175. Big mistake. We got into a big argument because he simply refused to look at the situation with my point of view. His argument was that it normally takes 2.5 hours to replace a wheel bearing and that the mechanic worked hard, and in a timely manner to finish the job quickly and he deserves to get paid for the full 2.5 hours. I said that I'm simply not going to pay you for an hour's worth of work that wasn't even done. He countered with the fact that if the job took 5 hours, they would still only charge me $255. It went back and forth for a while, but I got the final word in when I said,"So, I guess your business doesn't believe in the philosophy that the customer is always right." I laid down the benjamins, took my receipt, and left. As I left, I couldn't help but feel ripped off. However, once I took my SVX on the road, all the thoughts went out of my head and I just felt a great sensation that I had never experienced in my car before:"QUIET." I honestly can't remember the last time my car was this quiet. I absolutely love it!!