View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I'm always skeptical about paying more for brand names or "premium" products but have found that good "music" quality CD blanks track better on mine than dollar-a-dozen, general purpose discs. Last time I tried using a cheapo disc it wouldn't track at all, but I burned a Maxell 700mb Music disc and it plays just fine.

Also, slowing the "record" rate of your software might help a bit.

I've used a lens cleaner disc but can't tell any difference.

dcb
I used to distribute computer supplies. There is no physical difference between "music" cd's and "data" cd's. The music ones have a copy encryption code on them which must be there in order for them to work in the dedicated burners attached to hi-fi systems.

In the early days (read 90's) there were compatibility problems with many car cd players (particularly Sony), some home cd players and burned cd's . The problem is in the software code of the player. They are just set up to a different standerd for tolerance and error correction. The best way to get arround the issue then was to burn at 1x or 2x but still many brands of cd would not work. The early Maxell's (4x, 8x and 16x) were particularly bad.

Borrow a few diff. brands from your friends to see if they play ok, then burn one of those brands. If they still don't work either your burner or your panasonic may be out of alignment.