View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: FS: Black Powder Coated, Rebuilt SVX Calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsodonis View Post
I have another set of newly rebuilt calipers for sale. The process I follow for my caliper rebuilds:

- Disassembly and inspection of all parts
- Ultrasonic hot tank soak to remove grease and grime
- Sandblast calipers to bare metal (I outsource this to a sandblast company that uses new sand to prevent contamination of the surface and ensure proper bonding of powder coat). Reusing sand can embed grease and dirt into the surface which can cause improper powder coat adhesion akin to orangepeel
- Powder coat (I use a powder coating company - I don't do this myself). Current colors choices are limited to red (Chevy Corvette Victory Red), black, yellow, blue (Richard Petty blue - I hope no one ever picks this color) and silver which costs more because it is a 2-step process. These calipers are gloss black.
- After the powder coater, a tap is through every threaded hole to clean out any powder coat and sandblasting residue and to ensure that all fasteners will go together easily. All pivot pin bores are cleaned to ensure proper slider operation
- Soapy water wash and run nylon brushes through all threaded holes and especially the caliper bores to ensure that there are no sand blast residues or metal shavings present
- The piston usually have some corrosion on the ID, so I clean them up as best as I can and paint the inside of the pistons with a Krylon rust inhibiting paint
- Reassembly using nothing but OEM Subaru rebuild kits and the supplied Subaru assembly grease
- Install new gold anodized bleed screws with dust caps
- Synthetic caliper pin grease on all caliper pins

$300 shipped plus $100 core charge that will be refunded once I receive your current set back.

I bought a set from gsodonis, installed them, and I continue to be very pleased with them. Great job on the rebuild and the powder coating!! And mine are also BLACK - just beautiful on my RED '97!

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx