Thread: Gasket Problem?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Re: Gasket Problem?

Keith's instructions are pretty dead on. I just pulled all that stuff off last night to replace the 4 idler pulleys I hadn't replaced when I did my cam seals in Jan. I did just what he said, except I drained and pulled the radiator, which IMO is easier than pulling the fans off it.

By draining into a clean bucket, it's just removing 4 hose clamps and the two top brackets and the whole thing comes straight out the top giving you tons of clearance to get at the timing belt. If I were doing just the timing belt, removing just the fans is probably fine, but since you're going to need to pull the cam sprockets and do the seals, I'd opt for more space and pull the rad.

Regarding pulling the cam sprockets... I wouldn't use a chain wrench. I've had to do that in the past on my WRX because one of the bolts was seized, but it destroyed the sprocket in the process. Use the old timing belt instead to protect the sprocket. Then keep the old belt around in case you ever need to get at those parts again and you don't want to be forced to buy a new belt.

Here's an example of using an old belt when retightening the cam sprocket:

Just reverse the loop for taking off the bolt.

And here's the hydraulic tensioner that Keith was talking about, with an allen wrench in there to keep it compressed during installation of the timing belt:

A ton more pics of the front of the motor apart are here in my gallery of pics from my engine resealing job:

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/index.p...ne%20Resealing

Last edited by sperry; 02-28-2009 at 08:45 PM.