View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 02:33 AM

Opinions Please - How Much Is She Worth?

I've got a 92 Claret in excellent condition that I am considering selling, however I do not really know what I should reasonably be asking for it. While I do not NEED to sell it, I am thinking about letting her go simply because I do not have the time to drive or enjoy it anymore. I have another car that is my daily driver, and I picked a DSM to satisfy my modding urges, therefore the SVX just spends all her time sitting around.

Anyway, a little more information about the car. The car is currently located in Anchorage, Alaska. I am the second owner and have had it for the past 3 years. The original owner was an older couple who split their time between here and Europe therefore they never drove it much. The odometer currently just passed 64,000 (I think it is at 64,009). When I bought the car it had 48,000 miles, and I have put about 16,000 miles on it in the past three years.

The car was maintained exactly as Subaru suggests and all of the work was performed at the dealer (I have every single service record to prove it). Most recently the oil was changed a few hundred miles ago and the 60,000 mile service was done last year (full timing belt, water pump, and all). Two years ago, at around 55,000 miles, the 2-3 shift went out resulting in a full rebuild of the transmission (this was actually not done at the dealer, but at a reputable transmission shop in Anchorage).

Furthermore, any wearing items that needed replacement have been replaced with all OEM parts (i.e. things like the trunk struts, a leaking rear side marker, and lots of other little odds and ends which I have receipts for but cannot think of right now).

In the interest of full disclosure, the car has been in two accidents during its lifetime, however nothing ever serious and certainly no frame damage. The title is perfectly clear. The first was while I did not own it (back in 1994). From the records it appears the car was rear-ended and the bumper and trunk lid were replaced. The second was two years ago, and was a 5 mph front end "collision." The damage was as extensive as it was because the SVX is so low the headlights acted as the bumper. This resulted in a new hood, new headlights, new radiator, and a new bumper. It was at this time that I had the 97 grille that is pictured below painted and put in. All of the work for both accidents were covered under insurance and done at a professional body shop.

The car truly is in excellent condition, however, like all 16 year old cars that have been driven on public roads, it is not flawless. There are the usual rock chips, as well as two small door dings (one on either side). The side and rear glass are in perfect shape. The windshield has usual pitting, as well as one ding that was repaired behind the rear view mirror. Currently the rear bumper does need to be repainted, as there is a small area were the paint has cracked and lifted, however I was likely to take care of that before the car is sold. I discovered this paint defect very recently, and I haven't yet really figured out how it happened.

As far as "mods" go, there are four, all of which are fully reversible.

1. Xenon headlights - 5000K i.e white color (not at all blue, pink, purple, yellow, or whatever) and fully removable
2. 97 Grille - I still have the waterfall grille if you really care for that look.
3. 30% window tint on side and rear windows - I was planning on offering to remove this if the new owner did not want it
4. Polyurethane sway bar bushings - got these in the group-buy a couple years ago and still have the stock ones (honestly, I did not notice much of a difference)

Other than what was mentioned above, a conscientious effort was made to keep this car in as stock form as possible.

As far as tires, is has a relatively new set of summer tires that have about 4,000 miles on them (guessing about 80% tread left). The summer tires are General Exlcaim UHP's (check them out in the link at tirerack.com, they are very highly rated). The stock wheels have winter Bridgestone Blizzak Revo 1's mounted on them with about 60% of the tread left (sidenote - these tires are absolutely AMAZING in the snow ).

In addition to all of the maintenance records and paperwork, I also have all of the original documents/other various goodies for the car as well. This includes things like the original window sticker, owners manual, brochures, originally accessory catalog, the magazine review by Road and Track, the cheesy 1990's marketing video , etc.

I guess that should cover the gist of it. Sorry for the long post, but I could just go on and on about this car! Any recommendations as to what you all think would be a good asking price would be appreciated.