View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 03:21 PM

My SVX almost killed me...twice

So I was driving up the interstate, and hit the gas to pass a car. I accelerated rather rapidly, passed the other car, and then took my foot off the gas...but I kept accelerating. I hit the brakes a bit, but for some reason, it was like the gas pedal was floored, even though my foot was off of it. I kept accelerating, and this is when I realized there was a serious problem. Luckily, I do not get easily panicked or rattled, so I made my way into the right hand lane, and started to really apply the brakes. That brought me from about 90mph to about 70 or so. I made plans to get off the interstate, and headed for an off ramp, still standing on the brakes, I had slowed to about 50, so then I tried to see if the acceleration had stopped. I took me foot off the brakes, but sped up again. My new plan before flying through the intersection into another car was to aim for the right hand side of the road, which was covered in about 2 feet of snow. This way I could plow through the snow until it stopped. Luckily, I also stuck my foot underneath the gas pedal, and pulled up with my boot. This caused it to slow down just in time, and I was able to safely pull off the road and safely stop, with no damage to myself, others, or the car. So I did some testing on the side of the road, and everything seemed normal. I had to get back up to my house which was about 10 miles away, so I got back on the freeway, and made it home safely, with no further incidents.

I needed to see if it would happen again, so I got back in about an hour after parking, and started off slowly. But right away, it was as if I had floored it, and I headed straight towards an intersection. This time since my speed was much slower, I was able to slam on the brakes, and pull the key from the ignition, stopping myself just in time (again). I pushed the car into a parking spot, and made sure that it was in park with the E-brake on, and then tried the key to see what would happen. as soon as the car turns on, its like im flooring the pedal, and its loud as hell. I looked under the pedal, and everything seems normal. I know the problem has got to be the throttle cables, so im getting it towed to a shop tomorrow.

Anyways, any other thoughts?