View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Re: Will this fit? Universal Bolt Pattern: 5 x 100 + 5 x 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
With some grinding, I fitted 5x112 rims of the Mercs on mine.
5x115 is probably just a rounding issue. Most imperial measurements say 5x4.5 inches. That literally translates to 114.3mm... to one decimal of precision, but some may just round to 115mm. It is a nice round multiple of 5.

Seven tenths of a millimeter is hardly a major difference. Some wheel studs compared to others may have more than .7mm difference in bolt circle diameter.

Chances are, if it is dual-drilled, it is drilled for 5x100 (subaru, VW, Scion, and others use that), and 5x4.5inches (almost everyone else from japan and the US use that.

Metric european cars tends to use 5x100, a bit of 5x110, 5x112, and 5x120mm. And I think most of that is to be enough different as to not cross wheels between european brand cars. BMW wheels on Mercedes, Mercedes wheels on Audis, Audi Wheels on Ferraris, and Ferrari wheels on BMWs... it would be chaos.

American and Japanese manufacturers seem to like the lower costs of modularity, rather than worrying about wheel design cross-over. It is also cheaper for suppliers to offer a more standardized set of parts. Not only wheels, but brake discs or drums, and hub assemblies, all have to be set to that pattern.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.