View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 10:23 AM

STAG and old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I like 8 series cars also, although I feel I would prefer the 840 with the V8.

Max, your Stag would be an old school GT, out nearly 20 years before the others mentioned here.

My boss had one way back, I got to drive it a lot and it was a lovely car, for its time. However the chassis and handling left a lot to be desired compared to the SVX say, but I would expect that given the age difference. The interior is really lovely, very "English" and upmarket IMO.

Did you know the plan was to put the 16 valve heads from the Dolomite Sprint on that V8 engine? The oil crisis put paid to further development I think. A real pity, as a nice Triumph Stag still has the road presence that all good designs of the right size can exhibit. 36K miles, nice one to keep.

Joe
Hello Joe,

I did not know this thread was old and only replied to it having read recent activity.

As for my STAG not that i want to high Jack this thread here is a link to some pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2958522

I should have known that if someone new what one was it would be here on this forum. No one i have met nows what it is and still don't believe its a Triumph and an original V8 by Triumph itself.

I knew they toyed with a few engines but I am happy they settled with an entire Triumph engine regardless of its initial problems with cooling. Today and back then a well maintained example had no issues and I have changed the factory timing chains and will do so every 20K miles or 8 years. This way no stretching issues....My example is all original except the full body repaint I did this summer. BUt the trim and interior was untouched and not redone, just removed and put back. not even cleaned. The car was so nice that the faded paint had to go. It looks new today.

Did you drive an Automatic or 4 Speed? Did it have the original 3.0L V8 or a swap as most did? The original V8 has an awesome deep sound and the 4 Speed it great. I understand that the drive is very different than a GT of today but for its time it was great. Even today its a great relaxing drive. I love this car. I also have a 1974 Mazda RX4 which is as close to a GT that a Japanese car maker could have gotten at that time. It too has 34K original miles and paint too, still shines like new inside and out. You can see it at Cardomain as well. I like old odd cars.

Max