View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Harvey,
Excellent idea! Are you basically saying that I should use a TCU of a 4.44 geared car since I have a 4.44 tranny? If so, that makes all the sense in the world. No-one here has tried this? Nice!

After reading your post a few minutes ago, I went into my garage and scrambled into one of my parts bins. I found a 1998 DOHC 2.5RS TCU that I tested with the DOHC ECU in my 2.2ltr Outback Sport. As far as I know, the 1998 2.5RS had a 4.44 tranny (In auto trim).

I hope I have the TCU for the auto and not the manual tranny. Here are the numbers on it---->

31711 AD800
A64-000 DIF 7321

I will test this out with your blessing tomorrow. What do you think? Also, is the TCU for the SVX located underneath the steering column? My SVX has drained its battery for the umpteenth time (I gotta find the culprit). I'll take my battery out to recharge it and get it in the garage for the TCU install tomorrow. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Kevin,
The TCU has to be for the auto, as the manual doesn't have a TCU...

The Outback Sport, I believe, has 4.11 gears....

Mid year 98 is when the auto trannys changed, I'm not sure if the TCU's changed too....but it shouldn't hurt anything to try it.

The SVX's TCU is mounted to the ECU right above your feet while driving.

I'd be interested if it made a difference or not....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"