View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I believe they want to drill a relief well but the problem with that is the depth combined with the angle it would have to be drilled... they have to pierce the side of the original bore which is what, 7 inches in diameter? (dunno if that is right, I read it somewhere. seems small. probably actually was a 7 inch margin of error)

There are quite a few solutions to this problem but it's just a logistics nightmare because they all [the good ideas] take a relatively long time to engineer and transport...

Far as the official story on why it happened...

Quote:
In its report to Congress, BP said crews noticed unusual pressure and fluid readings that should have alerted them not to remove heavy drilling lubricants known as "mud" from the well — a move that apparently allowed a sudden upwelling of gas that led to the explosion and sinking of the rig about 50 miles from the Louisiana shoreline.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/05/25/129401...#ixzz0pf3u6IKj
I'm not entirely sure more "backup technology" would have helped if they were disregarding the conditions leading to the failure of the blowout preventer not to mention behind on their maintenance...

Quote:
In Washington, a House subcommittee investigating the disaster raised the possibility that BP wrapped up work on the oil rig even though a seal at the top of the well had failed a pressure test a few hours before the explosion. Representatives also suggested that a hydraulic leak may have disabled the blowout preventer.

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/25/129401...rs-before.html

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 06-01-2010 at 09:33 PM.