View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Trouble installing rear differential bushings

Hey all,

I'm swallowing my pride and coming to you guys for help. I've got my car up on stands in my friend's garage with the whole back end torn apart, and I've had to resign myself to being driven around by my girlfriend until I get this job finished.

I took the easy way out and didn't lower the rear differential to do the job, as others here have suggested, but I can't get the new ones to press in. The muffler is out, and the swaybar is lowered out of the way, so I've got plenty of room to work on it in the back. But I can't get the replacements to seat into the holes in the subframe straight. With the diff in place I can not access the front side of the subframe to clamp it in from the center, and when I try to clamp the outside edges it just does one edge while the other pops out. Am I missing a tool that would put pressure on both sides of the bushing while squeezing it in? Does the diff absolutely have to come down to access the front side of the subframe to clamp to it? And lastly which way do the new ones go in? I assume that the protruding side of the bushing goes in front toward the diff, but as my old ones were so rotted out I couldn't tell.

Any advise would be a huge help. I'd love to get my AWD back on the road during this storm that just hit. Thanks in advance for your input.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.