View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM

Cool Using oil....

Last year My SVX started blowing "blueish" smoke but could not detect any real loss of oil, took it to my Subaru service shop - they tested a few things out while I waited (no charge!!) told me the Air Flow Meter (AFM) was sticking, letting in oil from the breather on the RHS (from front) cam cover. This they said was a non servicable part - new part was NZ$100 (New Zealand) - since it is under the "pipes" at the RHS top front section of engine, you need special tools to get it off - or you take the cam covers off (with all the other pipes etc), so I was prepared to book the car into the shop.

When the work was done I got the old part to look at - it is a simple hole in a metal casting with a sliding shutter that is operated by a bi-metalic spring eg voltage is applied & the spring warms-up, closes approx 80% of hole, this acts like secondary choke ?. I managed to soak the unit in cleaner & hey presto it now works when voltage applied (but cannot tell if it is correctly working for the applied voltage Vs time?).

But if the engine is running for to long & unit has not closed off then the warm "thinner" oil seeps past the hole into the inlet valve area..... Hey presto blue stuff coming out the exhaust!!

Hope this helps

If you want I can scan from service manual what & were the unit is located (or tell someone what section/page the info can be found).

Steve Surtees
Auckland, New Zealand