View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides
Thought this thread was about dead, but it lives on. Wondering - is AWS a feature incorporated into F-1 racing, and if not, why not? Its been around long enough that some major racing manufacturer should have used it, IF it truly gets you around a twisty course at a higher rate of speed. As for the rear wheels first turning opposite the fronts, then turning with them, I must wonder how that affects handling while flat out near the apex of a hairpin turn. White knuckles, no doubt. Anyway, when someone gives me a clue regarding my racing application question, I'll have learned enough about AWS to last the rest of my life. Thanks.
Preston
The very high torque loads would make application very difficult, if not impossible. In any event the driver has enough variables to cope with as it is and I am sure rear wheel steering would not be welcome.

Some really high tech and amazing rear wheel steering type geometry can be seen in truck and trailer rigs. These are interesting to watch tracking round a roundabout.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!