Thread: 2-3 Shift Flare
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2002, 07:20 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Is the tranny still under warranty? I would replace it now if it is.

I bought mine with 100k and it had a small flare at very light throttle. I would guess that it revved up 3-500rpm between shifts. It only happened at low speed and light throttle. I unplugged the resistor and ran another 57k miles with no problems. I adjusted the TPS a few times during this period and did notice that even with the resistor plugged in I could get rid of the flare with a little adjustment but then the car idled very low and sometimes needed a foot on the gas to start. This may be due to an erratic signal from the tps at off-idle throttle but I only used an analog ohmeter to test it so I'm not sure if the erraticness is the tps or the test method.

When the flare finally reappeared without warning at 157k it was the end. The tranny lasted about another 2 weeks of very slow driving and manual shifting. The car would somtimes tach up to redline between shifts and then slam into the next gear with a nice gut wrenching screech. With the torque converter locked up I could step on the gas and make the tranny slip. I adjusted the tps, put in a new tps, plugged in the resistor, unplugged it, swapped out the TCU, changed the fluid. None of these helped.
This was the dreaded 2-3 flare everyone had talked about. Completely different feel than the little over-rev I had before.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.