Thread: cutting out
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
To repeat myself from the post of a few weeks back, I had identical drivability problems.
The car came with a K & N filter when I bought it almost 5 years, & 60K miles ago. I cleaned & re-oiled the filter 18 months ago - no problems.
Replaced the original MAF sensor with an Impreza unit two weeks ago. The car ran fine. I decided to clean the K & N filter again since I had the hood open.
Car ran fine for a day. Then decided to try the original MAF again after the vinegar bath process. SVX now "loses" two cylinders & blows blue smoke. Impreza MAF re-installed & all's fine. I'd say MAF kaput.
Now if an oiled filter leads to long term disintegration of Mr. MAF sensor, I'd like to know, since I'll be installing a used SVX MAF next week.

Ron.
My situation is different. My motor completely shuts off like the ignition or fuel pump just dies. I don't notice it doing it while cruising, but while accelerating it will completely just cut out for a second and then go again. When idling it will just shut off. I've had it stumble and shut off and I've had it just shut right off. It seems electrical cause I can kind of make it do it when idling by flipping my headlights on sometimes. It's not a constant thing, as I just drove it a little while ago and it was perfectly fine. I have no smoking at all. I do still feel it's probally the MAF though from past experience. I'll clean it tomorrow and see how it goes. If anyone else has some ideas, post them up.