View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Again Porter, it's not so simple. Gear ratios are NOT broken down by platform (Impreza, Legacy, Forester), but by model (Brighton, L, GT, Outback) and engine (1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5).

I will agree that the drive ratios MUST match, front to rear.

Todd
Todd, basically if it doesn't have an EJ25 in it I wouldn't even consider it for a tranny swap. It makes little sense to use a transmission with gear ratios designed for a 98hp torqueless wonder in a car with 230hp and huge low end torque. The EJ25 manuals are barely up to the task.

Do people really consider putting a transmission out of a 1.8 into an SVX? Just because it will bolt up doesn't mean it's a good idea...

I would think that a Legacy GT or Forester transmission would be the absolute minimum spec that would even be on the table in this discussion.

The only case in my entire statement where I was erroneous or unclear was the blanket "Legacy" statement where I should have specified GT to make it clear that I was referring to the 2.5 equipped car.

I think I made it blatantly clear when I put RS on the end of the "Impreza" there in my sentence that I was referring to the RS, or EJ25 equipped car, all of which came with 4.11 in the manual versions and 4.444 in the automatics.

My whole point in the post above was to point out that there were a variety of final drives available, and to be careful when mixing and matching parts from different vehicles. I think that was a valid point to make, and we've been down this road before.