View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Is FWD front diff the same as AWD front diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I take it that the sun gears are only on the FWD cars and they will be replacing something that I have to pull off the AWD trans.
Thanks again Jeff
Yes the sun gears are and will look identical, but they are a matched set and need to be changed in pairs... Problem is, the AWD output shaft is connected to the top sun gear and since the output shaft from an AWD has the transfer clutch drum on it, it cannot be used. You could press the sun gears off the output shafts and switch them around but it would prob be easier to do as I have already suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
Tom, I'm need to jump in here. We've had a couple PM's. Tomorrow the entire tranny and diff will be dropped from the '92 Teal. Still haven't found a replacement tranny and diff with low enough mileage. My problem is a bad diff. You said labor time would be lower with an entire replacement, such as a 4.44. This is a first time effort so please excuse the noobie talk. Do you recommend trying one of the diff offers here knowing my lack of knowledge? This gear ratio thing is fast becomming confusing. There's a '96 Legacy available at the shop with a 2.2 engine which I assume is a 4.11. Would that require a rear diff change? The shop I'm at is a friend of 30 years but he specializes in Volvo/Mercedes/BWB and Porsche. He's facinated by the car but doesn't pretend to know the options open to me. Has done a great job with normal break, axle, AC maintenace.
Gene

PS: I gave Nickolas the "one wrench" instructions on removing the tranny and he said "duh". Crazy Serbs
Yes, the trans you speak of out of the legacy w/ a 2.2 is more than likely a 4.11 gear ratio. Yes you would need to change it. I can get a hold of a SVX trans but will cost about $800 shipped to you. Let me know what you want to do Gene

Tom