View Single Post
Old 02-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
So I turned the wheels all the way to one side then all the way to the other and it made the noise. Turns out it was the rack boot, it seemed to be made out of too hard a material and would snap and pop under full extention and compression. I lived with it for awile and then I had to replace the other inner tierod so I got 2 new boots also. They where made out of the same material and now both of them make noise and they cost $40 apeace. I'v lived with it but it is annoying eveytime you make a sharp turn, usually in parking lots, it snaps and pops. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, I have that problem with mine now. The boot material for the racks has changed from a rubber or thermoplastic rubber to another material, most likely a higher durometer (ie, harder, less flexible) thermoplastic elastomer based on polyester. These materials are cheaper to produce parts from however, they make much more noise.

Iwas told by my dealership that I'd havce to live with it. SOA told me to spray them with lubricant and that they'd soften up over time, too which I laughed and asked if the rep had a background in polymer chemistry. He didn't.

Todd