View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Wood stove link

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
If someone were to build a house, say around 2500 sq ft. and wanted to use a wood burning stove as a primary source of heating, what would be the optimal setup without breaking the budget?

The outdoor unit with water pipes and all sounds nice but expensive, would fitting a wood stove to a standard type central air system be the way to go? Or some type of radiator setup.

I use one of those Ultra-efficient propane systems for back-up. Primary is a 1947 'Pot belly' stove that I bought at the scrap yard for $75.!!
( This is the part of the house that the women live in)

Since I have to heat this hugh shack in 'zones', the part that only needs heat while occupied had a genaric garage kinda woodburner that got too crazy, too often. I am replacing it with a fireplace insert with a blower this year. In fact, the 'prep' work is going on tonight!!

As far as the outside units, we are installing one at my local brother's house that will heat both the house and the garage. It cost $7,000. and will heat 5,000 sq ft. with 2 fireings per day. The nother-brother is going with the $5,000 unit that heats 3,000 sq ft.

I will stick with the Pot-belly and propane....but will be adding new windows as $$$$$$$'s allow!!

WINDOWS!!! Better Windows!! saves a BUNCH!! If you live in Mid-Atlantic area, SVXbart does that kinda stuff!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry