View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: New Car and New Garage

Thank you, Lee, for the nice words about the garage. It was a lot of fun and really gratifying. I was the architect, structural engineer, mechanical engineer and landscape architect for the project. But, I can't give enough praise to my contractor, who added a lot of creativity to solving coordination issues, developing the patterns for the pavers on the patio and the parking court. He also added a lot of detailing on the finish trim that really added to the look.

As far as retiring the Subaru from track work, it's not because it was unsuited for that role. In fact, it was remarkably quick. (14.9 quarter) Evidence below, a weekend of very evenly matched dicing with a 1992 964 C2 Porsche (Note how he has more body lean than I do).

I was really beginning to learn a lot of the subtleties of the car on the track. Initially, I was guilty of over-driving: Turn-in a little slow, then hammer down well before the apex, power understeering (even with the rear tires also drifting) all the way through the corner, and it would rarely turn on you (did spin a couple of times this way). It was much faster (because of avoided power-on understeer) if I carried a little more speed through to the apex of the turn, apexed a little later, then put the hammer down with the wheels a little straighter. Driven well, the car can be very fast, and it is very stable and very forgiving.

Granted the car is heavy, but with my mods, it has good power. The 5 speed and suspension upgrades make it a very different car. I ran well with a lot of decent cars: stock E36 M3's; late model Preludes; pre 2004 WRX's, etc. I can't really fault it as a beginner track car.

The reasons I'm retiring it are straightforward. The car has over 100,000 miles on it. I'm worried about driving it 5 hours to Watkins Glen, then beating the sh!t out of it for a weekend, then counting on it to get me home. I have driven it home wounded, and I have driven a rental car home. Neither is fun. Also, it has the really bad overheating problem, which I've never been able to overcome even with the aluminum radiator. I could trailer it (assuming I fixed the overheating), but it's heavy (3400 lbs with the 5-speed), so I'd need to buy a Peterbilt to tow it. I know, an F150 would do it in a heartbeat, but in my wife's mind, that is the same thing as a Peterbilt. So I want to tow, so as not to be at the mercy of the track gods for my ride home, and I want to tow with nothing larger than my Subaru Outback. That says I'm not towing the SVX.

If I can fix the overheating problem, I could see trying it at Autocross. or maybe taking it down to NJ Motorsports Park ( 1 1/2 hours away). But prudence says don't rely on a 100,000 mile car to get you home after a grueling track weekend.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold