View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 06:33 AM

Transmission issue - loss of power at cruising speed

It just turned cold here, and I experienced a new issue in my 97 LSi with 168,000 miles a short way into my drive yesterday.

I was cruising along at about 50-55, about two minutes into my drive, and then the engine revved up with loss of power. I don't think it was trying to shift at the time, as I was just driving steady speed. I coasted for a second and tried again, and the same thing. So i downshifted to third and coasted a second and then it resumed operation. I got off the highway, and drove around on side streets, in D, and had no trouble. Then I continued my trip, and it was normal, and also normal on the drive home. I even tested some heavy acceleration, and it seemed good, except it may have been a little more "heavy" in its shifting than usual. This has only happened to me once, but my wife swears it happened to her last year. At the time, I couldn't replicate the issue. Tranny fluid level and color are fine, and no noises came when the engine revved.

It is the same issue described in this thread (minus the rough idle caused by a bad coil): http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...nsmission+slip

Which was never reported as corrected or not by the recommended brake band adjustment.

I am trying to sell this car, and have someone interested, and obviously it would impact the sale depending on the severity of the issue.

I am hoping one or more of the resident tranny experts may be able to weigh in. I guess a brake band adjustment would be an ok place to start? I m not even sure I can make it happen again anyway.

My first Subaru, 1997 LSi #004 - SOLD!
Currently driving: 2002 Honda Insight, > 60MPG!

Last edited by 97LSi004; 12-12-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: more descriptive title