View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 'flare' between 2nd and 3rd

Hello,

By "flaring" do you guys mean a slight increase in rpm and a longish shift or do you mean the rpms increase by a thousand (severe slip)?

My SVX has a 4,444 tranny from a -97 Outback and under light to moderate throttle the 2-3 shift was looongish and the revs inreased maybe by 200 rpm. The engine lost torque for the time the shift took place, which is exactly what is supposed to happen.

I also experienced a "brake" effect when the transmission shifted 2-3 going down hill with the throttle closed. The revs increased by several hundred (from off idle), well above 1000rpm and the car slowed down for the shift.

I figured the brake band was too tight and eased if out half a turn.

This made a big difference, the 1-2 shift is not as harsh as it used to, there's practically no "brake" effect during 2-3 with throttle closed (maybe just a tad when cold) and the 2-3 under load shift takes only half the time from what it used to. No increase in rpm and also 3-4 is fine even under full boost. Went only for a short spin tonight, will drive more tomorrow and maybe will try an other 1/4 of turn.

Can't wait for the chip, TCU and valve body to arrive from Micheal .

Regards from Finland,

Tapani