View Single Post
Old 10-22-2001, 10:25 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: lots of smoke and anger

Quote:
Originally posted by maestro
I was driving my SVX this morning on my way to work, when: I noticed a little smoke, no prob as i had seen this once or twice before, i thought. About 8 miles later i looked back to see a very havey trail of white smoke. I thought it was the oil, but it didn't overheat at all. I mad it to work quite disgruntled. Later i checked and the oil is fine, but hteres no coolant. Could the line have just been trickling and then broke? Would coolant on the block smoke? Also gas mileage seems to be terrible in these things, i get maybe 200 miles to a tank (12 gallons?). My father (a mechanic, who has fixed an svx recently [changed both front axles in an hour] ) says to just put oil where the coolant would go and just drive it the 8 miles home. Any iedes on the problem? Thanks.

BTW, now i have to drive an 1980 something 300zx to work
The odor of coolant is VERY distinctive and would not create black smoke. It would create a rather "rancid" steam. Black smoke would be created by a poorly tuned engine or one with a failing combustion chamber. Put oil where the coolant would go? I've never heard of this. Could you have your dad explain?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI