View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 08:06 PM
billisa

So hard to say... but

The SVX H-6 is not a source of many problems -- oil leaks, yes, but I don't consider that a huge repair issue. By and large these engines are what some people call "bulletproof". In my area, there's an SVX with 240,000 miles on it with no engine rebuild.

On the other hand, it's important to know what your transmission is like -- has it been remanufactured by Subaru or is it the factory original? If it's the one the car was born with, it more than likely will need some major work -- maybe not, but likely by 150,000miles, if not earlier. ($2,500+)

Wheel bearings tend to be an issue on SVX's, but this may depend on how the car's been driven, and indeed the ones on your prospective car may have already been replaced.

On the CarTalk site SVX's came out better (cheaper) than say a Mitsubishi 3000/Dodge Stealth on a repair basis -- but in the end it will be difficult to predict what your car might need.

I'm running a '92 LS-L (147,000miles) I've put 8,000 miles on since June and I've only done "elective" stuff. But my car was very well cared for before I got it (with a reman trans and wheel bearings).

Last edited by billisa; 09-26-2002 at 04:58 PM.