Thread: STI suspension
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Registered SVX
Re: STI suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
You can order just the stock struts for a STI for relatively cheap from the dealer. Then toss on a set of quality coils and your good to go
As for your e-bay dampeners:
Hmm. They are all pretty decent for the price range.
When possible, look for an inverted shock design, like what I have.
Keep in mind that in a macpherson strut design like our cars, the struts are a stressed member of the suspension. When you corner, all that stress is transferred from the wheels to the struts then to the chassis. I dont know about you, but I dont like the thought of all the cornering stress of our heavy cars being pressed upon a 1/2" shaft that is the strut rod.
In an inverted design, the strut body itself slides into the mounting sleeve and takes all the stress of the suspension.

Adjustablility in the compression / rebound is a great thing to have, if your tuning for the track. If its a daily driver, its not really necessary. You would be surprised how a couple clicks can turn you from understeer to oversteer in a hurry. Or a balanced well handling car, to a twitchy turd on the street. Choose wisely
yeah im not sure how relatively cheap that would actually be here seeing as everything is basically 2.5x the price you guys can buy the same part for there
i will go up to the dealer and ask them how much they are

and if i was to get stock sti ones , i would still need to get camber adjustable strut tops, right ?

and quality coils ... any suggestions for them ?

ah ok so i take it none of those are the inverted design ?
just searched "inverted struts" on ebay and this is the ONLY listing that came up
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-OEM-S...item1e6d1aea02

the adjustability thing would pretty much be for show and once it was set i would not change it ...
ever

Last edited by aust92pearl; 04-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.