Thread: STI suspension
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Re: STI suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
well stock 05-07 sti susp is almost non existant to find for sale here in aust (like most things)

what are your thoughts/opinions on these options ?
You can order just the stock struts for a STI for relatively cheap from the dealer. Then toss on a set of quality coils and your good to go
As for your e-bay dampeners:
Hmm. They are all pretty decent for the price range.
When possible, look for an inverted shock design, like what I have.
Keep in mind that in a macpherson strut design like our cars, the struts are a stressed member of the suspension. When you corner, all that stress is transferred from the wheels to the struts then to the chassis. I dont know about you, but I dont like the thought of all the cornering stress of our heavy cars being pressed upon a 1/2" shaft that is the strut rod.
In an inverted design, the strut body itself slides into the mounting sleeve and takes all the stress of the suspension.

Adjustablility in the compression / rebound is a great thing to have, if your tuning for the track. If its a daily driver, its not really necessary. You would be surprised how a couple clicks can turn you from understeer to oversteer in a hurry. Or a balanced well handling car, to a twitchy turd on the street. Choose wisely