Thread: a couple of Q's
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: a couple of Q's

Radio harness - PM SVXDc he makes them, he also has a good writeup on how to get your stereo out without screwing up the dash.

Spark plugs - Get NGK platinum or Denso Iridium plugs, the Iridium ones are spendy but they are good for 90,000 miles, instead of the 60,000 the platinum ones are good for. Don't get any other type of plug, stay away from the Bosch Platinum plugs, etc, they aren't worth it. Autolite, champion, etc.. are crap. (Trust me)

As for DOING the plugs, you will need a 12mm for the bolts that retain the coils, a 1/4" drive ratchet and shallow 12mm socket are what I use. As for the plugs themselves, the skinnier the ratchet you can get, the better. If you can find a 1/4" drive air ratchet that will fit in there, with one of those really skinny 1/4" to 3/8" adaptors, that would be ideal, however the only one I've run into that fits is $300+ from Snap-On, however their fine-tooth hand ratchet works great for getting the plugs out. I've also had good luck with those little thumb ratchets (basically a knurled wheel with a socket drive in the center), break the plug free with a regular ratchet, and then use the thumb ratchet to get the plugs out.

When putting the plugs back in, I like to put some spray silicone on the threads, this helps them thread in easier as well as helps them come out easier next time. (Anti seize works, however it is conductive so you must be careful not to get any on the tip of the plug, as then it will not fire.) After the plugs are in, spray silicone in the rubber tip of the coil also helps with installation, and helps keep the boot from sticking to the plug next time. The clear spark plug boot grease they sell at parts stores works well here too.

The back plugs are a bit of a chore to get to sometimes, however you can undo the two nuts on the underside of the car that hold the motor mounts to the subframe, and then using a floor jack with a block of wood under the oil pan, raise the engine up a few inches. You won't get it totally clear, but it does help, and if you unbolt the dogbone you can swing the engine to one side for more clearance. (This also makes replacing the cam cover gaskets easier, however if you choose to replace them, the spark plugs are VERY easy to get to once the cam cover is off)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta