View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 PM

1st time Subbie owner

And it's an SVX?!
Longtime gearhead other current rigs include a 68 chevy p/u w/ stroker-N20 motor, it's my hotrod.
As well as 85 Suburban 6"lift 400ci, lockers f/r, xover steering, Mostly for ski and snowmo trips as well as daily driver in winter. Yes it gets the job done.
Plus I got a 78 chevy 4x4 p/u for free, it's getting a fresh motor this spring.
Anywho I've been lurking since I picked up this 92 Lsl w/ 128K, 3 weeks ago. Btw the Burban has had very similar trans issues as SVX's. Planetary, line psi and in need of extra cooling and filtering. Mostly do to HP and weight.
So less than 200 miles after purchase decided to take care of basic trans stuff.
Like change it, Transgo shift kit, Summit ext. filter and B&M cooler (which I remounted about 4" lower than in pic). Oh, a K&N air filter and $15/15min mod. Though it was $24 for those couplers Sheesh! Luckily I've done all the trans stuff on other rigs. Though the packaging on the subby is tight!
Did the diffs and engine oil at the same time w/ royal purp synth.
Took it out this eve, 1st outing since all that.
The shifts are nice and firm and dash h2o temp gauge is reading a lil lower.
Ecu and Tcu mods next, as well as 9005's. EBC green brake pads currently on b/o
Some SVX observations-
Lots more HP is kinda worthless as the auto trans is the weak link.
Cone filter CAI is kinda worthless, more intake noise but not cooler air. Stock is a good design and more than adequate for stock+ engines. The restriction is the exhaust, though mostly after the dual cats. I'm getting rid of that freakin' monster muffler SOON!
The ziptie brakeline trick is very cool. S.S line is the way to go after that.
Slotted rotors are probably better than drilled, though I have run both on other rigs. The reason the ecu retards the ignition off the line is to help save the trans from low end torque. I do not think that a standalone ecu would be all that hard to get to work w/ tcu. I haven't researched but FAST and Megasquirt come to mind.
So now a couple ?'s
I'm gonna have regasket this engine, it leaks like most subbies seem to.
Is it easier to pull it and do it?? I'll do timing belt at the same time.
The A/C comp is toast so that's in the works also. Any suggestions on that?
I know I'll have to replace the drier too.
Last one for now, rims. I wanna get some new rims and tires. It's got stock rims and toyo's on it now. Thinking about these http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Whaddya think?
Cuz I'm just a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24x4s.JPG (70.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg SVX.JPG (70.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Cooler.JPG (134.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg TransLine.JPG (72.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg VB2.JPG (134.5 KB, 120 views)