View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 02:24 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Re: Arghhh! POS computer

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
My old 266mhz P1 beast hath shat teh bed.

Rebuilt it on another old motherboard and swapped all the components over.

Still cannot get the stupid NIC to do anything. If I log into my router through my laptop I can see that the router acknowledges the 266 box. I just can't get the 266 box to ge ton the internet from the router or even plugged straight into the cable modem. Everything is right (well, must not be everything) But everything seems to be set up and configured correctly. Even swapped cables but no luck. DNS error everytime.

I even fdisk'd 3 times now and reinstalled 98se and I still cannot get it on the internet. (installing windows on a 266mhz beast = slow)

I'm on my 4th install of 98se now. I just might punt this thing back to win95 if this keeps up.

I love obsolete junk.
Depending on your provider, the cable company may have entered the MAC address of the WAN interface of your router so attaching the cable modem to your computer may not yield results.

What kind of router are you using?

Can you ping your laptop through your internal network? Try pinging your laptop. If that's successful, try pinging the the gateway (internal LAN gateway). If that's successful, try pinging the WAN interface of your router. If that's successful, try pinging the gateway for your WAN interface (if that info's available) if not, then ping a DNS server. Use 4.2.2.1 if you like.

If you are successful pinging the DNS server, try pinging a website like www..com. If you get a DNS error but you can ping public internet IP addresses (like a good known DNS server 4.2.2.1), then the Winsock entries in your registery or the winsock dll's are b0rked.

Of course this assumes that your NIC drivers do work and you can ping everything else that I mentioned.

If that's the case, use your laptop to find the files off the Win98 cd rom (should be located in one of the .cab files in the Win98 directory). If yours is b0rked, let me know and I'll see if I can send you a good .cab file with the winsock dll's in it.

If Lwin's PIII doesn't pan through, let me know, I think we have a few old spares lying around the office.

Last edited by Noir; 01-31-2005 at 02:29 AM.