View Single Post
Old 07-11-2001, 02:42 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
IF we still want to SAY that the camber, caster etc. change due to road conditions & vehicle direction change, & that's 4WS, then the arguement will never cease. I say toMAHto, you say toMAYto, & it's still a red, squishy thing to be hurled at each other when civil debates become boring. Tsu.
No, you have brought up a point that in my vehemence <sp> to dispute this whole "passive" AWS thread that I had completely neglected to notice. Which side of the car will pull more, the one with the most negative or positive caster? (Negative for you non-techs). Toe in, (or out, yes there are cars that have toe out specs), has little, if any measure of how the car steers. Toe in is set to align the steering wheel and to make tire wear minimal. Hmmmm...might have to get out my manuals, but your post brings back many years of aligning cars...Please note, that the caster and camber are not adjustable on the rear of any Subaru that I know of, unless you drill or weld or something.

Thank you Ron! I had totally spaced that you can drive a car that is completely out of whack by toe spec and it will drive straight down the road, but the steering wheel will be off center and the tires will wear prematurely. Damn do I feel like a doofus now! I could have ended this whole thread easily just explaining that. DOH!