View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

It isn't so much about loosing weight as weight isn't a huge deal. Remember a 3 ton Bentley will do 0-60 in about the same time as a Vette. If you're gonna go dieting you need to do it wisely and concentrate on infront of the front axle and behind the rear (not so much as the front as the SVX is a tad front heavy) Next you wanna concentrate on high weight such as the insualtion behind the headviser etc. You can loose 500lbs and actually make the car handle worse by doing so if you're not smart about it. Once we lost the first 4-500lbs the car looked like a Buick Rivera so the suspsension needed to be dialed down an inch or so. Ideally the best place to loose the weight is:

1. Loose the front bumper beam structure (or at least cut it down or sub in a lighter one from an Outback)??- see SVXfiles for what fits That's a good 50 or so lbs as far forward as you can get!
2. Remove the ABS system and put in Ts in its place.
3. Move you're battery to the rear of the car in the wheelwell for you're spare
4. fiberglass hood
5. Remove you're spare tire.
6. Remove everything from the trunk.
7. Rear bumper beam
8. As was stated by Tom go to L seats which are still heavy as anything but again this isn't gonna help handling by removing this weight as they are very low center of gravity in the dead center of the car. Ditto with a 5 speed.

Key is to know where you're starting at- Wet weight of a 92 Ls-l is 3750ish to start with. Just removing the gas would get you down to the 3600 range but again its actually lowering your center of gravity by being there!