View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I painted our demo car. It doesn't sound like you're planning on getting into it nearly as in depth as I did but let me tell you painting the svx is no easy task and dust/dirt with the basecoat clearcoat system is a serious problem because you can't just sand out the dirt.

I would definitely not lay down as much primer as you are talking about. If you start getting too thick with the material you will have problems--especially if you are not taking everything apart so that you don't have parts butting up to eachother. If you have dents and you are using filler then prime over the filler--that's about as much primering as you want to do. On the plastic parts if you need to do any primer I would suggest using SEM flexible parts primer filler. The color coat should probably be two coats. The clear coat should probably be two coats. Absolutely everything needs to be sanded and then cleaned with prep-sol or the like before any new material is applied.

When you find your painting place if it's not a real paint booth what you will want to do is make sure you have plenty of light. The lighting will be crucial in the painting process. You'll find once you start painting it's much harder to see than you think. Go overboard with lighting. For ventilation set up a fan blowing out and a filter to let air into the garage. You can cut a cardboard box to fit into a window or door and tape it up with a regular home ac filter in it and do the same on the opposite side of the garage with the fan. You'll want some cheap disposable paint suits and some painting gloves too. A respirator goes without saying.

I would not expect to get the car painted in a day--plan at least several days if you aren't taking it appart. If you are taking it appart plan on 1 to 2 weeks depending on the cure time of the paint and how good of a job you are doing.