View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 12:48 AM

Re: Building a 10,000 rpm NA engine.

Hi Guys,
Great input,

Quote:
My first step would be to re-engineer the timing config... Stock belts/pullies are not going to keep in time at those r's
- Tom thats a good point and worth checking. I seem to recall from doing the dyno belt that I can get a belt calculator to work out if it will last. As for the idlers all bears have speed and static & dynamic load tables so I will check those as well. At the end of the day we only want the parts to stay together for 1,000,s of miles not 100,000 miles.
It needs to be check. Anyone got the ability to do this?

Quote:
Tony,
May I ask why you want to spin your SVX, 3.3 engine to 10,000 RPM?
What is your goal?
- Funny Havey asked the same question, I think he said "Tony I am at a loss at what you are trying to acheive". My answer was Matt, Bazza & Jack all had bearing issues if I can get a motor to run at 10,000rpm with out doing bearings then when I pull it back to run at 8,500 as Harvey said it should never fail. Harvey suggested a couple of years back that the back of the engine is not getting enough oil and may need mods so we need to find out.
- The second point as to why 10k? Is that with NA engines the abolsulate best volumetric efficency we will get is 130% and that maybe impossiable. So the only other way is to increase rev. If we want power revs have to go up. Every time the plug fires its more power.

Okay from the discussion Jobs that need answers,
2a Will the timing belt and pullies stand the rev and if so what revs will they stand?
2b From the other posting Can we have the oil tank in the boot?

So these job will be live untill we can answer them with certainty. In the case of the belts the design parmeter need to be check.

Thanks for the input and lets have some fun.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.