View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b on demand
Reason I'm asking is because the jack that I have...the handle isn't long enough for me to put the jack under the car too much and get the car lifted...I originally wanted to use the subframe. I was just looking for other ways. The little indent in the rail on each side of the car is where you place the stands right? That can also be used to jack the car up?
The indent in the rail is there for the OEM jack. This vertical welded seam is very stiff vertically as you will appreciate. Make a saw cut in a piece of hefty timber a foot or so long to fit the seam, this will spread the load and you can then safely use any jack anywhere along this seam, but the ends are to be preferred. If you wish to lift the whole side of the car at the centre point away from the door pillars, obviously the longer and stronger the timber the better.

A piece of flat timber in between jack or stand and any jacking point is always a good idea. The soft material provides good grip/friction and prevents loading over a small point, as occurs with a hard to hard contact. N.B. A block with a deep cross section could tip over if the contact areas are small or the jack head pivots.

Sorry if I am appearing to tell how to suck eggs, but have included detail as I do not wish to feel responsible for lack of same, in an issue involving safety.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!