View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Re: To new or prospective SVX owners

I have to agree with all who say we own an SVX because they are great cars to look at, and even greater cars to drive. I was lucky enough to have driven several when they were new, and couldn't afford one. I knew I had to have one, and when the opportunity presented itself to get a rust-free but sunburned '92 Pearlie in 2007, I leapt at it. Yes, it is an expensive car to maintain properly, but as several have said, without car payments, it's not that much. And they can be improved, not by garish customizing, but by thoughtful mods such as the Koni conversion I helped document at RojoRocket's place last week. Keep up with the routine maintenance. Don't overstress them by doing things with them they weren't designed for. Enjoy them for what they are, one of the finest grand tourers ever developed, and a car with stunning lines, even nearly 20 years after it was designed.
I always have to remind the nay-sayers in my family that even with three cars, (all with 100,000 miles or more on them,) my total costs, insurance, repairs, etc. are far less than if I was making payments on ONE new car that wouldn't give me as much pleasure. Treat it right, respect it, and enjoy the things it can give in great measure.
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri