View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Smooth Stocker

The first time I sighted an SVX was in a mall parking lot as it went by ( what the ?!). I turned around and followed it and then went and ogled it when the owner departed. I then searched out an article in a car mag to see what it was all about and was thoroughly intrigued. After that I developed a sixth sense whenever one was in the immediate vicinity that would snap my head around to view it. At that time, like many, they were waaaay out of my price range.
The in the spring of 05', I spotted one in a Volvo dealer lot. I was working out of town at the time, but every time I came back in I looked for it. Finally I sold the newer SUV I owned to buy it. The dealer wanted an outrageous sum for it. I managed to knock about 3 1/2G off his asking price, but still payed too much.
I knew from the start it would be a project car, but I can't think of a better car to sink some bucks into to restore and customize than an SVX.
But yes, it was love at first sight. The car still has that effect on people. Just the other day some 16 yr. old kid in the back seat was absolutely doing gyrations when his family pulled up beside me. Even guys in exotics pull up beside me and just stare - the SVX has a definite allure.