View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
AutoX today leaves me with questions

I went to the AI autoX at Ripkin today. I was running on race rubber for the first time. For some reason my rear bumper had an identity crisis. It kept thinking it was the front.(read: The car kept trying to spin) I've never had the SVX oversteer on me while autocrossing. Usually it understeers, even with the rear bias tranny.

Ok, now the explination. The last event I went to was at FedEX field. The car felt very controlled. This time I was at Ripkin and I was exstremely sloppey. The car was all over the place. He's a list of what was different.

FedEX:
Tires: 225-35-17 BFG KDW2 tires. PSI was the same all around. Equal wear all the way around.
Weather: 98 degrees Sunny, light breaze
Suspension: Stock(read installed at the subaru plant) except for the Motorsports springs
Tranny: 6-speed JDM STi
Engine: ECUTune Stage III
Race: Fedex has a long fast course. I was running in the low 70sec range. Most STi's were runnig in the mid to high 50's

Ripkin:
Tires: 245-45-16 Victor Racer V700. I ended up running 35psi front and 25 rear. fronts = new, rears = approx. 1.2 life left
Weather: 65 degrees, sunny, windy
Suspension: Same
Tranny: Same
Engine: Updated software that gives a good bit more power in the upper RPMs
Race: Ripkins as a little less room then FedEX, but they made a pretty fast course. My scores were as follows:
1st Run = 161.??? (Spun 180 and stalled. Battery issue delayed restarting car)
2nd Run = 58.??? (had the car nearly 90 degrees in 2 corners)
3rd Run = 54.??? (I finally learned how to skate on ice. I could feel to rear going all over the place. I just road it out)
4th Run = 51.774 ( I used the loose rearend to help me line up for the next gate and just hammered the throttle. Figured I had nothing to loose.
Competition: Best time I hear was a 48. I think that was a Cottingham 7. There was a new STi running SM right behind me. I was spying on his times. He was in the 51's the whole time.

He's he questions.
1) Why did my car feel so much more controlled on street tires? Are the Street tires better? Or is the combination of more power and running closer to the competition times over powering the rear tires?
2) I'm running tomarrow. Should I run the older tires in the front and new ones on the rear? or just run my street tires?
3) What can I do to better set up the car for tomarrow. (There is a chance of rain. If it rains I will be running my street tires.)
4) why am I so long winded with this post. ( )