View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
by the definition of the word, he was driving recklessly. By the definition of the law, he was not. This type of situation is why some states have a "XX mph over the speed limit qualifies as reckless driving" laws.

You also have to consider the following. Was he on a closed access highway? If so, every arguement about "pulling out of a driveway" or other slow moving or stopped vehicles aren't valid.

Even so, the law is what it is. I think our traffic laws are rediculous at times.

Also mohrds, 140 feet to stop from 60 is kind of high. I think 125 ft is a better Average, where as a "GOOD" bike would be about 115 ft. which, barring any brake fading, would lead to approximately 650ft to stop (not including reaction times). Even so, its a long ways.

Figure a common tractor trailer stops from 60-0 in a minimum of 200 ft (best situation possible, law says 355 without trailor brakes) from 80mph which is about what I see most cruise at, a 400ft stopping distance without reaction time would be had. And an 18-wheeler is going to cause WAY more damage at 80K lbs than a bike is at 500lbs.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker