View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 04:52 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Joe

Well I gave it a shot this morning. There was not much traffic so I was able to slow down and speed up several times. Basically I found that the engine speed will increase about 1500 rpm when it slips out of lock-up. So at say 75mph the tach is reading 2500 in lock-up and stomping on the throttle will bring the engine speed up to 4000 rpm.

Now, I had a small problem with all of this. I have been trying to obtain maximum mpg on my commute and that sort of ended this morning. I forgot how nice it was to punch it at 60 and have it drop into power and 4th. Then I remembered how nice it was to be doing 75 and have it drop into power and 4th. So these fast accell’s will lower my mpg. Well somebody was watching me and was accelerating rather fast also. Before I knew it I was leaving him at 100 and then at about 120 had to slow down as there were too many cars on the road for this nonsense. I jammed the brakes and then my seat back started to squeeze me into the steering wheel. What the heck is going on? I was wondering has the seat broken? My brief case No it was just the water bottle had broken loose, (I keep it between the door and seat,) and was adjusting the seat back for me.

I just read Trevors post and yes when going into lock-up while at a steady cruise the rev drop about 400 rpm.