View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 04:49 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Stut help please

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
I need to replace my struts. What's the best source for OEMs? I went to subaruparts.com, but their diagrams are confusing and I'm not sure what I need. What is the deal about the strut caps? I understand that the caps were changed after the 92 models. My car is a 92. What do I need? Thanks.
Depending on the condition of all the components there could be many items needed. At the min, you'll need the new bare struts themselves. They are around $90/ea as I recall. If you want you can also replace the upper strut mounts. The '92s had a problem with a clunking sound caused by the front upper strut mount. If your car has that problem, then you can replace the front upper strut mount too if you want. These are around $70/ea. For all the years, the rear upper strut mount has a tendency to rust badly if the car is driven in the wintertime in places where the roads are salted. These are around $80/ea. If you are intending to replace the rear struts, you may want to see if you can get a look at the rear upper strut mount. You'll need to hose if off throughly before looking at it because it gets completely caked with dirt. The rust can get bad enough to cause the mount to fail. The strut won't come apart, but the spring will be riding against the top of the strut tower and your car will sit about 3" lower in the rear. You may also want to consider replacing the rubber spring seats that go on both ends of the strut spring. The upper spring seats in the rear have a metal insert that rusts to all hell just like the rear mount.

The prices at subaruparts.com are pretty good and their online parts diagrams are great, but 1stsubaruparts.com consistently has slightly better prices. And its easier to reach someone by phone at 1stsubaruparts.com.

Now for the shameless plug: While you've got the struts apart, you may want to consider adding some more sporty springs. I sell springs that will make the car much more fun to drive. Check out the link in my signature.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 04-22-2004 at 04:54 PM.