View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Ron, the 1953 Olds Fiesta had the "Autronic-eye" as an option. The Fiesta was the first GM car to have the wraparound or "panaramic" windshield glass as well. The Fiesta was a very rare vehicle. All other 53 converts had flat glass. Olds was always GM's "experimental" division. First with an automatic transmission (1940 Hydo-Matic available on the series 90), high compression V-8 (1949 88 shared with Caddy), practical front wheel drive with out planatary gears (1966 Toronado), and high compression DOHC 4 cylinder motor (1985 Quad-4 motor optional on the Cutlass Calis and Cutlass Ciera models). There were many more innovations but they are the only ones I can remember. I'm only 33, but my dad was big into Oldsmobiles and we had a few restored show cars. As for the Merc, it had tilt out seats for the driver. I remeber that. The seat would pivot out when you opened the door to aid in getting in.

PA, your ancient history memory's pretty good for a "young lad". My first car was a turquoise 'n white '53 Olds 88 coupe, & my dear aunt Laradell drove a '40 Olds Hydramatic for many years. I didn't think the Fiesta was offered to the general public, but I certainly may be wrong about that. It actually shared the wrap-around windshield knee-smasher with the '53 Caddy El Dorado, & Buick Skylark convertibles. Pontiac offered a high compression 237 HP SOHC six in '66, I believe, but it didn't sell well. I'm not sure about Mercury's swivel seat, but I know swivel front seats were an option on the '59 Plymouth Fury coupe. The Mercury offered a six position dial on the dash that memorized six (obviously), preset seating positions.

Ron (Living in the past is a passion).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.