View Single Post
Old 07-30-2001, 02:07 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Ok here is a dumb oil question. I took my car to a quick lube place (yes I usually do it myself, but I was taking the car to Canada the next day, and was WAY too busy!). Anyways, I brought in my Mobil 1 5w30, and got them to put it in for me. The guy at the quick lube place got all in a huff, trying to explain to me that my car REQUIRED 10w30 oil and not 5w30.

This totally confused the heck out of me. He was ADAMANT that this was case and I would doing SEVERE damage to my car by using it. I basically told him he was on crack and that he will put it in or I will simply take my business elsewhere.

Now here is the question. I'm no rocket scientist, however I do understand what the weights mean. 5w30 is a 5 weight cold and 30 weight hot oil. He was going on about how my car will overheat and it will be too slick when the engine heats up. Now can someone tell me that I'm totally wrong in saying a 10w30 is the same darn hot weight oil as a 5w30??!?!?

I would TEND to agree with the 5w part as, "what difference does it make in the summertime, anyway?" However there's always an engineer around who will dispute our layman's theories. I just put 5w30 in mine, simply because the discount club was out of 10w30. If my car blows up I'll post this little inconvenience to all. Ron
In fact I would assume I'm doing the engine a favor on startup simply because the oil is less viscous at cold temperatures than a 10w30 is. Hell in the winter in Canada I would use a 0w30. After watching the oil videos with the clear engine in mech class, I really want a pre-luber!

Anyways, my rant for the morning.

Ryan

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.