View Single Post
Old 11-08-2003, 04:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I have mixed feelings about flushing. We've been over and over the topic before, but I feel the need to chime in with my 2 cents.

I definitely think that back-flushing is a no-no. Forward flushes seem, in my opinion, to be a sound idea. All they're doing is running the tranny pump and letting it draw in new fluid while it pupms out the old. That seems to be a perfectly reasonable way to do it. But how many tranny failures have we seen right after a flush was done? There could be plenty of explanations - most likely, those who had their tranny flushed (including me) were already experiencing some bad symptoms and the tranny was going to die anyway.

In my case, I had mine flushed because a blockage in the fluid passages was keeping my car from maintaining any ATF pressure at all. My tranny worked well for about a week - just long enough for me to drive to the 10th Anniversary meet and back. Literally, the next time I drove the car, the tranny quit again.

Your problem sounds like a slipping clutch. If it was due to an electronic problem, you'd see an error code (blinking power light), which leads me to suspect that the clutch is just done.

I absolutely agree with Thumper - you should take it in to a shop to see what they think. But, we've seen similar problems a few hundred times. I would definitely start saving up for a new tranny, if you haven't already.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE