View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Power Steering leak!

Done a few different searches but I'm having trouble making sense of past posts in relation to what happened with my car.

A couple days ago just driving around town I started to hear a bit of grinding, nothing major. When I got to one of my stops and got out, I saw light smoke coming from the front of the car, that quickly went away. So little that I thought it might have been a bit of an oil leaking onto the exhaust or something. I started back out around the parking lot and then the grinding got worse, the steering started to get stiffer, so I pulled over again and popped the hood. This time I noticed a trail of fluid across the parking lot leading up to my car. And ATF spilled all over the front passenger catalytic converter. Couldn't see the source of the leak, but saw the power steering resevoir was almost empty.

I was close enough to home that I just went for it, I wasn't going to leave it in the bank parking lot all weekend or have it towed somewhere. Car actually drove much better at higher speeds, anything under 10 mph the steering was VERY "manual".

So now it sits in my driveway. I've gone over every hose I can from the top, with the airbox and ducting all removed too. Can't find any holes or broken hoses. Can feel it's still wet down near the bottom of the rack so I'm going to try to get it up into my garage and then jack it up on stands to look under there.

Anyone have any first impressions of what this could be though?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...