View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 08:28 PM

Re: New Studded Rubber

Welllll, technically I would be "break'n da law" for my commute; for any place north of Parry Sound it's ok for the studs, but I'm 150 k's short of the cut off line. But from a common sense, safety, non-political stand point these are the right choice for my needs. At 4:00am on a very lonely ice and snow covered road, going through the white outs and frozen hell of Ontario farmland with no cell network, I think I need every advantage I can get including studs and an AWD SVX.
During the last half of last winter I was driving my 79 Supra......scary for sure. Then I bought a used set of Nokian 2's studded and man what a difference. It's like the comparing the traction of summer tires to winter tires, the same can be said for winter to winter studded tires........amazing.
Almost full throttle on black ice with no slip. The trade off is road noise and less traction on dry pavement, also the car and tires are always dusty when things are dry, accelerating hard results in leaving a dusty fog behind and on the car, at first I thought I was burning oil out the exhaust.
Anyway....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
Oh, stopping distance on the dry is not as good. Found out the hard way last week end when my front plate ate an Explorer trailer hitch; the bumper has some minor paint damage, the hitch had a good laugh, and I was ticked.......lesson learned; avoid looking in the mirror to see who's going to make a SVX sandwich just push harder on the brakes and pray.