View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Stebro questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Harvey,

I did get A's in University Physics at the University of Miami back when i took the courses; however, what little I remember of what we studied about the effects of waves on gases only reminds me that I don't know enough to presume any such thing. The best I can do is hope the sources I have read give correct rule of thumbs and you are the only source I have read that claims that. Please feel free to provide the literature to explain otherwise to me.

If I remember correctly that .5 second improvement in et from putting on his headers was the low of a series of runs Tom did with the high being a full second improvement over before the headers. I feel confident the improvement he thinks he saw with his headers is genuine. Maybe some other design would give him even better improvment but I haven't seen any other source supporting your design suggestion other than you. His design is fairly close to what I would come up with using most online calculators or by going off the rules of thumb on wikipedia.

Maybe you are right and I'm certainly open to being convinced. Saying the same thing again like it is a given won't do it though. How about sending me a copy of what you are reading?
OK Mike, I suppose I have been pushing this barrow for a while. I first wrote about the SVX exhaust design about 10 years ago on the Yahoo forum.
As you well know I have often been the lone voice for the technology.

As for the technical information that I use. I haven’t kept that a secret, the two main textbooks that I use are, THE HIGH-SPEED INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE, by Harry Ricardo, for engine operating principals, and THE SCIENTIFIC DESIGN OF EXHAUST AND INLET SYSTEMS, by Philip H Smith, based on the experiments of John Morrison. Smith wrote this book, but Morrison did all the research work.

These will provide the basic technical facts for building on. The rest of my knowledge was gained from experiments carried out on Bike engines both 2 and 4 stroke. These are a lot cheaper to develop than a 6 or 8 cylinder engine; after all, it is the cylinder that you are trying to increase the Volumetric Efficiency on. Now days I use an Engine Simulation program to carry out experimental changes on, to save all the expensive, and time consuming work.

From what I can see, most of the ‘on line calculators’ are based on work for the domestic V8. Using long primary pipes (branches) to separate the cylinders exhaust gas from entering other cylinders. The SVX does not have this problem, so the exhaust system design can be directed to filling the cylinder, using the sonic wave technology.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 02-09-2009 at 04:31 PM.